Temple Beth Shalom is a vibrant Reform Jewish congregation that welcomes individuals and families of diverse backgrounds and ages. We dedicate ourselves to the practice of our religious and spiritual traditions, to the study of our sacred teachings, to lifelong Jewish learning and to social action locally and globally. As a caring community, we strive to meet the spiritual, intellectual, social and cultural needs of each member of our Temple family and to create connections within our membership. We advocate full equality and encourage participation in congregational life. We support the State of Israel and Jewish people throughout the world. Learn more about TBS and our innovative programming at: https://www.tbsneedham.org/
The Managing Director position is an exciting opportunity for a dynamic leader and experienced organizational manager to lead TBS into its next phase of growth and impact. With primary responsibility for organizational leadership and management, the MD will play a key role in developing the organizational strategy and vision, working in close partnership with the Board, staff, and community stakeholders. In order to execute towards that strategy on a daily basis, the MD will focus on internal management and leadership as well as external community building.
Key Responsibilities will include:
- Partner with Senior Rabbis and Learning Directors and Temple President to create organizational strategy and develop plans for tactical implementation
- Work closely with the Board officers on matters pertaining to our administration and operations
- Participate on the Community Advancement Team to facilitate development initiatives that foster a philanthropic culture in our community
- Supervise the administrative and facilities staff
- Lead overall organizational decision making in the areas of administration and operations
- Manage the TBS administrative infrastructure including administrative staff workflow and systems, facilities, technology and legal
- Oversee Human Resources functions including personnel policies, benefits, professional development and compliance
- Support the programmatic department heads in providing excellence in all aspects of congregational life
- Oversee all financial and operational functions of the organization, in collaboration with the internal team as well as outsourced vendors
- Manage effective safety and security protocols
- Develop and/or contribute to effective internal and external communications throughout the TBS community
Our professional staff is guided by these principles:
- Customer Service Orientation: Be dedicated to serving our community and supporting our staff in carrying out their responsibilities to serve our community; your work supports the whole organization and is integral to our team’s success.
- 100% Follow Through: Stay on top of all specific tasks in the short term and keep longer term projects moving as well; consistently “closes loops” and meets deadlines.
- Attention to Detail: Assure that all communications are polished, precise, concise and congruent with the messaging and feel of the organization.
- Optimistic Approach and Flexibility: Approach work with a spirit of “yes”; reflect our leadership team’s positive tone; push work forward through obstacles and adapt quickly as things change.
- Reflective Practice: Thoughtfully consider your work with a growth mindset; actively seek support and input.
- Active Work Life: Embrace a role that extends “beyond the desk”; participate in the life of an engaged and active community.
- Proven success in an organizational leadership role within an entrepreneurial environment; experience with nonprofit management is preferred but not required
- Experience managing departmental and/or organizational budgets and finances with integrity and transparency
- Demonstrated experience leading staff teams with a high degree of interpersonal and cultural competence and trust
- Experience partnering effectively with a diverse range of stakeholders to ensure strong organizational governance, leadership, and strategy
- Proven ability to lead thoughtfully and intentionally, gathering input, acting on feedback, making appropriate decisions, and demonstrating maturity and sound professional judgment
- Demonstrated success building authentic relationships, drawing on a high degree of emotional intelligence and the ability to develop and sustain relational trust
- Strong communication skills, including communicating in a compelling, inspirational manner and displaying a commitment to openness, transparency, and listening deeply to others
- Effective and collaborative leadership style Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree in a related field preferred
Using the link below, please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter, describing your interest in this role and outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position. Please submit both documents in either Word or PDF format, and address your cover letter to the Temple Beth Shalom Search Committee.