Reaching Out is a 501(c)(3) organization that educates, inspires, and connects lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and questioning (LGBTQ) MBA students at business schools in the United States. Through its year-round programming anchored by its annual conference, Reaching Out MBA (ROMBA):
- Educates LGBTQ MBA students about the opportunities and challenges of being an LGBT MBA student and business leader, how to capitalize on those opportunities, and how to overcome those challenges.
- Inspires and enables members of the LGBTQ MBA & graduate community to be leaders in their careers and in society.
- Builds connections among LGBTQ MBA & graduate community.
Over the last four years, Reaching Out has very successfully transitioned from an organization with two events a year led by student volunteers to an organization with a full-time Executive Director, full-time and part-time staff, and extensive networks including current and prospective MBA students, corporate partners, and college/university clubs and affiliates.
Reaching Out has expanded its programming and impact to include year-round outreach and networking, including Student Treks visiting corporate partners, a Women’s leadership conference in the Spring, events in Brazil and Hong Kong, and regional networking events. In parallel, Reaching Out has dramatically grown its core event, a national conference for LGBTQ MBA students -- in attendees by 56%, and in corporate sponsorship by 48.5% -- while adding a Leadership Summit for LGBTQ MBA club leaders and Reaching Out Fellows. All of Reaching Out’s programming is influenced by active participation of current MBA and graduate students.
To learn more about Reaching Out’s work, please visit: www.reachingoutmba.org.
Reaching Out is seeking an experienced and entrepreneurial Executive Director to lead them through their next phase of growth. Reporting directly to Reaching Out’s Board of Directors, the incoming Executive Director will manage Reaching Out’s staff, design and implement a strategic plan for the next three-five years of growth, and drive the organization towards and through the next phase of its evolution.
A successful Executive Director will:
- Work collaboratively with the Board and staff to design and implement the next phase of strategic growth for Reaching Out, focusing on further building the network into a formal association to advance the interests of the LGBTQ MBA community
- Enhance existing programs and deepen Reaching Out’s impact, including growing the Professionals and Pre-MBA communities
- Grow Reaching Out’s corporate sponsor list and funding, and leverage new programming to diversify Reaching Out’s revenue streams to include individual, alumni and foundation giving
The Executive Director will be responsible for leading the organization in the accomplishment of its mission and in the execution of its strategic plan. Specifically, the Executive Director will be responsible for the following:
Fundraising and Partnerships
- Set the organization’s strategic plan in conjunction with the Board and execute the plan with Board and staff
- Lead working groups focused on new program development and program refinement and incorporate Reaching Out’s audience and stakeholders’ feedback into organizational decisions
- Present major, material decisions (such as partnerships, budgets, contracts, and selection of student leaders) to the Board for ratification
- Research, plan, and implement other revenue strategies to diversify ROMBA’s funding base in a sustainable manner
- Thoughtfully steward current donors and cultivate and solicit new corporate sponsors, in conjunction with the Director of Development
- Serve as a conduit for student leaders seeking to engage sponsors around the delivery of content
- Promote leadership and develop leaders throughout the organization and specifically through Reaching Out’s growing Fellowship Program with partner schools, which has allowed for deepened interaction with and impact on students
- Recruit, select, and supervise student leaders to assist with content development and execution
- In conjunction with the Program Manager and Events Producer, coordinate logistical aspects of core programs, including the annual ROMBA conference and leadership summits
- Manage Reaching Out’s full-time, part-time and contractor staff members, including a Director of Development, Program Manager, and part-time Events Producer
- Lead the administration of the organization, including managing the organization’s assets
- Manage the day-to-day financial affairs of the organization and develop annual budgets through QuickBooks
The most highly qualified candidates will have all, or most of, the following qualifications:
- Significant nonprofit management experience or executive-level leadership within a corporate or private organization
- Demonstrated commitment to Reaching Out’s mission and demonstrated understanding of Reaching Out’s core audience: LGBTQ MBA students and alumni
- Experience using a participatory style of leadership to lead a team through growth and transition, preferably within a complex and network-based organization
- Demonstrated experience conducting business development and developing new revenue sources, with a successful record of building relationships with a diverse range of individual and corporate supporters
- Experience with the operational and administrative aspects of managing a small organization, including overseeing organizational budgets and finances; websites and social media communications
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to define and prioritize realistic goals and objectives and communicate these to staff and stakeholders
- Demonstrated experience in entrepreneurial organizations and roles, with strong problem-solving skills and the ability to troubleshoot as well as develop alternative solutions to problems
- Outstanding project and program management skills, with attention to detail and a strong work ethic
Candidates for the Executive Director must have:
- Ability to work flexibly (including evenings and weekends when required)
- Ability to travel to engage and build Reaching Out’s networks, to represent the organization, and to coordinate events around the country and the world
- Ability to manage current, full-time staff work at Reaching Out’s office space in Boston, MA (The right candidate could manage remotely and does not necessarily need to be based in Boston.)
Please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter, addressed to Hannah Yankelevich, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, using the below link. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Reaching Out MBA offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills. Reaching Out MBA is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from candidates that identify as any gender, race, and any sexual orientation.
About Commongood Careers
Reaching Out has partnered with Commongood Careers to conduct the search for an Executive Director. Commongood Careers is a mission-driven search firm that supports the hiring needs of high-impact nonprofits. With an approach that leverages robust talent networks, recruitment and search management expertise, and a deep understanding of our clients’ mission and culture, we help organizations secure the talent they need to create greater social impact. Since our founding in 2005, Commongood Careers has led more than 800 searches at 275 organizations in 33 states, making us one of the most experienced and dedicated nonprofit search firms in the country. Learn more about nonprofit job opportunities at Commongood Careers.