Reaching Out is a 501(c)(3) organization that educates, inspires, and connects lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBTQ) MBA students at business schools in the United States.
Through its year round programming anchored by its annual conference, Reaching Out MBA (ROMBA):
Over the last four years, Reaching Out has very successfully transitioned from an organization with two events a year led by student volunteers to one with year round programming and a full time staff led by a full time Executive Director. The key goals for the next Executive Director will be to:
- Educates LGBTQ MBA students about the opportunities and challenges of being an LGBT MBA student and business leader, how to capitalize on those opportunities, and how to overcome those challenges.
- Inspires and enables LGBTQ MBA & graduate community to be leaders in their careers and in society.
- Builds connections among LGBTQ MBA & graduate community.
The direction of Reaching Out’s two core programs, a national conference for LGBTQ MBA students and a Leadership Summit for LGBTQ MBA club leaders and Reaching Out Fellows, are and will continue to be influenced by active participation of current MBA and graduate students. Reaching Out’s Fellowship program with partner schools is growing quickly and has allowed for a deepened interaction and impact on Reaching Out’s primary stakeholders, its students, and will continue to be a focus for the organization. Reaching Out has also expanded year round programming focusing on Student Trek’s visiting our corporate partners, Women’s programming with a Women’s conference in the Spring, international events including Brazil and Hong Kong, and regional networking events.
- Enhance existing programs to deepen the impact on Reaching Out’s audience
- Build on Reaching Out’s partnerships and diversify its income streams
- Expand Reaching Out’s impact by growing the Professionals and Pre-MBA communities
The Executive Director will be responsible for leading the organization in the accomplishment of its mission and in the execution of its strategic plan.
The Executive Director will be responsible for leading the organization in the accomplishment of its mission and in the execution of its strategic plan. Specifically, the Executive Director will be responsible for the following:
Fundraising and Partnerships
- Set the organization’s strategic plan in conjunction with the Board and execute the plan with Board and staff
- Lead working groups focused on new program development and program refinement and incorporate Reaching Out’s audience and stakeholders’ feedback into organizational decisions
- Present major, material decisions (such as partnerships, budgets, contracts, and selection of student leaders) to the Board for ratification
- Research, plan, and implement other revenue strategies to diversify ROMBA’s funding base in a sustainable manner
- Thoughtfully steward current donors and cultivate and solicit new corporate sponsors, in conjunction with the Director of Development
- Serve as a conduit for student leaders seeking to engage sponsors around the delivery of content
- Promote leadership and develop leaders throughout the organization and specifically through Reaching Out’s growing Fellowship Program with partner schools, which has allowed for deepened interaction with and impact on students
- Recruit, select, and supervise student leaders to assist with content development and execution
- In conjunction with the Program Manager and Events Producer, coordinate logistical aspects of core programs, including the annual ROMBA conference and leadership summits
- Manage Reaching Out’s full-time, part-time and contractor staff members, including a Director of Development, Program Manager, and part-time Events Producer
- Lead the administration of the organization, including managing the organization’s assets
- Manage the day-to-day financial affairs of the organization and develop annual budgets through QuickBooks
The most highly qualified candidates will have all or most of the following qualifications:
- Enthusiastic commitment to Reaching Out’s mission
- Demonstrated understanding of Reaching Out’s core audience: LGBTQ MBA and graduate students
- Experienced in using a participatory style of leadership
- Outstanding attention to detail and organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to deliver on commitments
- Able to define and prioritize realistic goals and objectives
- Ability to work flexibly (including evenings and weekends when required)
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to troubleshoot as well as develop alternative solutions to problems
- Excellent communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Quickbooks, website management, and social media
Backgrounds that would contribute to a candidate’s success in the role but are not required:
The Executive Director will report to Reaching Out’s Board of Directors. Current full-time staff work at Reaching Out’s office space in Boston, MA, remote working possible for the right candidate. The Executive Director will be expected to travel as required to represent the organization and to coordinate Reaching Out events around the country and the world, and to be present at key meetings of the Board of Directors.
- Demonstrated experience conducting business development and developing new revenue sources
- Demonstrated experience in entrepreneurial organizations and roles
- Demonstrated experience in project and program management
- Candidates holding a MBA or having prior experience working with MBA students a plus
- Nonprofit management experience directly or indirectly a plus
- Consulting, banking or general management experience a plus
Please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter, addressed to Hannah Yankelevich, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, using the below link. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Reaching Out MBA offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills. Reaching Out MBA is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from candidates that identify as any gender, race, and any sexual orientation.
About Commongood Careers
Reaching Out has partnered with Commongood Careers to conduct the search for an Executive Director. Commongood Careers is a mission-driven search firm that supports the hiring needs of high-impact nonprofits. With an approach that leverages robust talent networks, recruitment and search management expertise, and a deep understanding of our clients’ mission and culture, we help organizations secure the talent they need to create greater social impact. Since our founding in 2005, Commongood Careers has led more than 800 searches at 275 organizations in 33 states, making us one of the most experienced and dedicated nonprofit search firms in the country. Learn more about nonprofit job opportunities at Commongood Careers.