The mission of Read Alliance is to improve the educational trajectory of underserved early elementary students through one-to-one tutoring in foundational reading skills. Established in 2000 Read Alliance is a not-for-profit corporation that improves the chances for academic success of educationally and economically disadvantaged children by pairing them with trained, paid teenage tutors to deliver a structured reading curriculum through one-to-one tutoring. Read Alliance serves the five boroughs of New York City. Over the past 18 years, Read Alliance’s intervention program has proved to make a significant difference in the academic success of the students it has served. Nearly 15,000 early elementary students have received reading intervention through Read Alliance’s one-to-one model delivered by 11,750 trained teen-aged tutors. Read Alliance pre- and post-assessment data has consistently shown that after just one program cycle, students who receive Read Alliance intervention average more than a full year’s growth in foundational reading skills as outlined in the Common Core Learning Standards.
Read more about our work and impact at http://www.readalliance.org/.
Read Alliance encourages individuals of all backgrounds to apply for this position, and we do not discriminate on any basis prohibited by applicable law. We celebrate the diversity of our nation and communities, and we seek to build a team that reflects that diversity. We welcome and encourage all qualified applicants who share that same vision, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to our work and this mission.
Read Alliance seeks an Executive Director who shares its belief that reading is the foundation for all academic success, and that teens have tremendous capacity to be meaningful tutors and role models for their younger peers. Read Alliance is looking for an experienced and talented leader who has experience in scaling programs or organizations, a strong background in fundraising and board and staff development, and a genuine commitment to equity in education and a passion to meet the needs of underserved youth.
A successful Executive Director will:
Leadership and Management
- Scale and grow Read Alliance, incrementally expanding programs and services annually
- Effectively navigate large public systems (e.g. NYC DOE, NYC Mayor’s office) to form productive partnerships
- Collaborate to set and effectively meet fundraising targets, including securing new individual donors and foundation and corporate grants
Fundraising, Communications and External Relations
- Lead a team of 8 full-time employees and 4 part-time employees toward highly successful program implementation, community engagement and fundraising targets
- Work closely with Board of Directors and all Board Committees; responsible for all Board communications; preparation for Board meetings; assist with recruitment and onboarding of new Board members
- Provide executive oversight of all program strategy and operations: compliance, quality assurance, and program efficiency
- Oversee all business functions. (i.e. accounting, HR, IT, legal, etc.)
- Continue to build fundraising and organizational infrastructure and capacity to support future growth and maintain a strong culture and work climate that attracts and retains staff
Finance and Planning
- Set, and meet, aggressive annual fundraising goals, in partnership with Board of Directors, Director of Development, and development staff
- Cultivate and manage donor relationships along with development staff to secure financial support from foundations, corporations, individuals, and government funding sources
- Work with development staff and Board on annual benefit and additional fundraising events and oversee all external communication materials including: website, marketing materials, newsletters and social media content
- Serve as the “face” of the organization and actively participate in external events, both increasing Read Alliance’s visibility, credibility, and brand in the market and developing strategic partnerships in order to increase community awareness and expand the program
- Foster stakeholder satisfaction among district leaders, principals, teachers, parents, funders, and staff
- Collaborate with the Board and senior leadership to develop an annual operating budget.
- Monitor and report to the Board on the organization’s P&L and cash flow on a quarterly basis.
- Maintain sound financial practices and collaborate with the Board and third-party auditors for Read Alliance’s annual audit.
Compensation and Benefits
- Significant experience in a senior leadership role, including responsibility for overseeing the budget and staff of an organization or substantial program ($1M plus)
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational management and an unwavering commitment to delivering high-quality, data-driven programs
- Exceptional time management, with an ability to prioritize both tactical and strategic responsibilities that enable successful management and growth
- An ability to multi-task, seamlessly managing multiple functions, and moving between strategy and implementation easily
- Significant experience developing and managing high-performing teams and cultivating and working effectively with a Board of Directors
- Excellent communication skills, interpersonal skills, and relationship building skills, with the ability to work collaboratively with diverse groups of people
- A deep understanding of Read Alliance’s stakeholders’ needs and priorities
- Bachelor’s degree required and MBA, MPA or another relevant graduate degree is a plus
This is a full-time exempt position that reports to the Board of Directors. Read Alliance offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience. Read Alliance offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, flex spending account, generous paid time off, commuter benefits and 401(k) option.
How to Join Our Team:
Please upload a resume alongside a thoughtful and targeted cover letter, both in Word format, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity. Please address your letter to Tom Regan, Board Chair at http://commongoodcareers.force.com/careers/ts2__Register?jobId=a0K1L00000klKff&tSource=.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.