Over the past two decades, Crossroads has grown from providing summer camp experiences for at-risk youth into a thriving youth empowerment organization that unlocks the potential and fuels the social and emotional growth of more than 1,100 under-served youth from greater Boston each year. Crossroads’ mix of long-term summer and year-round programming and mentoring spans up to a decade of a child’s life, providing them with the consistent support and opportunities that lead to life-long impact in the areas of economic independence, social responsibility, and healthy relationships. Please visit our web site to learn more.
Crossroads’ current President, Deb Samuels, is stepping down after an 11 year tenure as President of the organization. Thanks to Deb’s leadership, Crossroads has grown into a thriving organization with financial stability, deep philanthropic partnerships, and a culture of high-performance at both the board and staff levels. The President position represents an opportunity to build on an incredible organizational foundation while serving as the leader, strategist, and architect behind Crossroads’ next phase of impact.
Working closely with the Board of Directors and senior leadership team, the President will serve as the primary external face of the organization, leading all fundraising, partnership development, and brand-building for Crossroads as it continues to build its presence as a leader in the youth development field. In addition, the President will oversee all strategy, finance, operations, and staff, directly supervising 2 – 3 executive leadership team members in a strongly mission-driven organization. The President will report to the Crossroads Board and will be supervised by the Board Chair and Executive Committee.
The ideal candidate will bring a deep passion for the mission, exceptional leadership and management skills, a strong ethos of service, an intuitive ability to inspire others, and the desire and ability to be the number one brand ambassador for the organization, sharing their conviction and belief in the young people that Crossroads serves.
In addition, the ideal candidate will bring:
- Demonstrated leadership skills in outcomes-focused management and coaching and empowering a diverse team to success;
- Exceptional skills in telling the organization’s story and inspiring support;
- Ability to connect with youth and engage stakeholders with authenticity and positivity;
- High levels of thoughtfulness and integrity;
- A fearless approach to working with the board, staff, youth and the community to leverage resources and explore and thoughtfully evaluate new opportunities.
Organizational Leadership and Management
Resource Development and Stewardship
- In collaboration with the Board, review and refine Crossroads' vision and strategic priorities, building consensus and support among key stakeholders
- Lead the organization through development, implementation, and monitoring of strategic and operational plans which translate the vision into action
- Build community partnerships to help realize Crossroads’ broader vision
- Identify and manage risks proactively
Communications and Partnerships
- Steward and deepen relationships with diverse funding sources, including foundation, corporate and individual donors, to secure needed resources
- Lead the Campaign for Crossroads as it moves from the silent phase to the public phase
- Partner with the VP of Development and Strategic Philanthropy in the management of fundraising strategies, events, and activities, continually building a pipeline of potential new supporters for Crossroads
- Work closely with the staff and board to ensure the smooth execution of fundraising plans for the annual fund
- Serve as spokesperson and ambassador for the organization, sharing results, building visibility, creating institutional partnerships, and serving as a thought leader in the youth development field
- Work with staff and consultants to develop messages, materials, and vehicles that effectively and consistently communicate Crossroads’ mission and programs
- Facilitate meaningful interactions between the youth that Crossroads serves and the broader community
Talent Management and Team Culture
- Work in partnership with the Board of Directors on policies and strategic direction, and support the Board Chair and Executive Committee in planning and facilitating effective and strategic board meetings on a regular basis
- In conjunction with the COO, Treasurer, and Board committees, prepare regular financial and organizational reports for the Board
- Support the work of all Board-led committees by serving as an ad hoc member
- Leverage board relationships and talents to support Crossroads’ mission
- Recruit, coach, and evaluate senior staff; support their achievement of individual and team goals
- Develop annual work plans with each senior staff member, tied to and evaluated against strategic and operational priorities
- Guide strategies for building culturally competent team and a strong culture of excellence and respect for diverse perspectives among all Crossroads staff
- Develop, manage, and monitor organizational budgets, ensuring that the funding of programs and initiatives reflects organizational priorities
- With the COO, Treasurer, and Finance Committee, manage ongoing reporting of financial information internally and externally
- Provide oversight of all related fiduciary issues, such as insurance and investments
- Commitment and connection to our mission that resonates on a deeply personal level
- Demonstrated leadership, high energy, enthusiasm, charisma, and vision
- Demonstrated experience in significant leadership roles, accompanied by a track record of outstanding performance and results
- Ability to build meaningful relationships with youth and tell the Crossroads story in a manner that is authentic, culturally competent, and compelling to a diverse group of youth, families, staff, and community supporters
- Experience and expertise in creating and implementing a strategic plan and building the organizational structures, systems, and competencies to effectively deliver on the goals
- Demonstrated experience building strong and strategic relationships in the non-profit, philanthropic, corporate, and political communities
- Experience working collaboratively with a Board of Directors, members of a management team, and in managing and leading teams
- Significant experience engaging key stakeholders as meaningful supporters using proven approaches to fundraising; a successful track record of fundraising, including securing donations at the $25K+ level
- Ability to recognize talent and potential, coach and inspire, provide effective feedback, and bring out the very best in a team
- Business and fiscal management skills including, finance, P&L, budgeting, and forecasting
- Commitment to respecting the differences between individuals (race, gender, age, sexual orientation, cultural heritage, physical disabilities, and education) and treating differences as an asset and strength of Crossroads
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to articulate the Crossroads’ story to prospective and current supporters, partners, and other stakeholders
- Strong planning, organizational, and self-management skills
- Bachelor’s degree is required, Master’s/advanced degree preferred
Crossroads offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills.
Crossroads is committed to equal treatment for all individuals. Crossroads does not discriminate on the basis of race,
color, gender, disability, age, religion, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin.