The Fresno Economic Opportunities Commission Head Start serves Fresno County through an urban/rural network of 34 center and 18 home-based programs, offering part day, full day, and braided services. The population served includes 80% Hispanic, 9% African American, 5% Asian, 4% White, 2% mixed race, and 0.25% American Indian children, and Head Start parents have diverse backgrounds, often from disadvantaged and underserved rural communities.
Fresno Economic Opportunities Commission (Fresno EOC), is widely recognized and respected as one of the largest nonprofit community action agencies in the United States. Founded in 1965, Fresno EOC has spent the past fifty years investing in people to help them become self-sufficient.
The Fresno Economic Opportunities Commission Head Start Program is seeking a dynamic, motivated, and experienced professional to become an integral part of our team. Reporting to the Chief Program Officer, this position will provide direction and leadership for the entire Head Start Program. Specifically, the Head Start Director will oversee more than 500 staff, provide academic and social support services to over 2,500 low-income, pre-school children and their families, and manage a budget of over $29 million.
A successful Head Start Director will:
- Ensure that all Head Start program services, including academic, curricular, nutrition, center-based and home-based services, and family engagement services, are strategically operationalized and executed; and ensure that all legal and fiscal compliance is appropriately managed
- Ensure that the Head Start Program is strategically positioned for the future, with a focus on adherence to and compliance with new, national Performance Standards and all other regulatory agencies, offices, and funding partnerships
- Ensure all relationships with parents, staff, community partners, and stakeholders are sensitively and thoughtfully managed and stewarded to ensure the Fresno Economic Opportunities Commission and Head Start program continues to hold a respected and positive reputation in the Fresno community.
In order to achieve the preceding outcomes, this hire will have responsibility in the following areas:
Programmatic and Staff Leadership
- Provide guidance and leadership to more than 500 staff, demonstrating professionally caring relationships with parents and families, modeling the importance of data-driven goals and performance monitoring, and emphasizing high program quality
- Appropriately and thoughtfully delegate responsibilities for programmatic and operational leadership to staff and ensure accountability standards are in place to monitor and evaluate staff performance
- Hire, develop, manage, and evaluate staff at all levels of the program and ensure programmatic goals and agency performance standards and evaluation processes are understood
Fiscal and Grant Management
- Oversee the development and monitoring of the Head Start Program budget, Head Start federal grant, and other grants, in partnership with Fresno EOC fiscal staff
- Manage and respond to changes in grant application and monitoring submission guidelines, in partnership with any technical assistance providers and Fresno EOC fiscal staff
- Partner with consultants and staff on routine needs and community assessments
Public Relations and Community Engagement
- Represent the Fresno Economic Opportunities Commission and report on progress and goals of the Head Start Program to parents, staff, community groups, the Board of Commissioners, funding partners, and other stakeholders
- Establish and maintain relationships and collaborations with public school districts, systems of higher education, and other community agencies, partners, and stakeholder groups in the community to foster collaboration related to early childhood education and other related initiatives
- Serve as a member of the Senior Leadership team and provide input regarding direction of the Agency and development of strategic goals and objectives
- Significant early childhood, curriculum and/or education leadership and administration experience with knowledge of the new Head Start Performance Standards
- Significant experience with leadership, oversight, and management of large, diverse, and high-performing staff
- Demonstrated cross-cultural sensitivity, able to relate to and communicates with people of all backgrounds and communities, regardless of ethnic, racial, sexual, religious background, or socio-economic status
- Extensive knowledge of principles and practices of early childhood and infant development
- Mission-driven educator, committed to leading effective programs that support the reduction of poverty in a community
- Ability to thrive in a mission-driven, visionary, and entrepreneurial environment, able so strategically lead as well as tactically support and operate agency causes and efforts as needed
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree in education or related field strongly preferred
- Bilingual skills strongly preferred
Using the link below, please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, both in Word format, addressed to Naomi Quiring-Mizumoto.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Fresno Economic Opportunities Commission offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills. Fresno Economic Opportunities Commission is an equal opportunity employer.
About Commongood Careers
Fresno Economic Opportunities Commission has partnered with Commongood Careers to conduct the search for a Head Start Director. Commongood Careers is a mission-driven search firm that supports the hiring needs of high-impact nonprofits. With an approach that leverages robust talent networks, recruitment and search management expertise, and a deep understanding of our clients’ missions and cultures, we help organizations secure the talent they need to create greater social impact. Since our founding in 2005, Commongood Careers has led more than 700 searches at 275 organizations in 33 states, making us one of the most experienced and dedicated nonprofit search firms in the country. Learn more about nonprofit job opportunities at Commongood Careers.