Education through Music was founded in 1991 after Edmund Schroeder and Eldon Mayer saw first-hand a school that was using music to improve educational outcomes and were inspired to create a program for at-risk children in New York City. ETM has developed a model of partnering with inner-city schools to provide music as a core subject for all children and to utilize music education as a catalyst to improve academic achievement and general development. The organization works with schools that struggle to provide all students with music education and helps establish high-quality, sustainable music programs. What started in one school is now reaching nearly 27,000 students in close to 50 schools, and the organization’s operating budget has grown to $5.7M.
To learn more about our story, impact and results, please visit at www.etmonline.org
Education through Music is hiring our first Chief Operating Officer (COO) to help further build the internal organizational infrastructure to accomplish our aggressive goals. Education Through Music has grown steadily over the past four years and the COO will play a critical role in supporting the organization’s next phase of growth. The primary responsibilities of the COO will be to ensure the overall health, growth and sustainability of the organization through building effective service operations, setting goals and metrics that lead to high performance across all business functions, leading and growing a talented team, and partnering with the Executive Director in executing the strategic plan through effective best practices. The COO will report to the Executive Director and directly supervise three Department Directors.
During the first 9 months of his or her tenure, the COO will:
- Review key processes of business functions to improve overall efficiency and effectiveness between departments and in meeting external needs.
- Review talent and performance management processes ensuring expectations and accountabilities are clear across the organization and that staff are given opportunities to develop professionally
- Introduce project management and measurement practices ensuring that resources are effectively deployed and efforts are appropriately prioritized, planned, and tracked across the organization.
- Partner with the senior staff in the formalization of management practices in the organization; enable their ongoing development as managers and leaders for their teams; support a staff culture of mutual cooperation, collaboration, and respect.
- In partnership with the Executive Director, oversee the implementation of the organization’s strategic plans, making adjustments based on data and metrics and the evolving needs of the organization.
- Serve as the internal leader of the organization to oversee the annual operations plan and budgeting process.
- Present to the Board at quarterly meetings and serve on several board committees.
- With departmental leaders, lead the performance management process that measures and evaluates the team’s performance in alignment with organizational goals.
- Refine core human resources functions including recruiting, onboarding and training, compensation and benefits, employee relations, and performance evaluation; instill a coaching culture across management structures.
- Bridge departmental operations to optimize processes and systems that lead to greater efficiency.
- Directly supervise the organization’s Director-level senior staff members, with specific oversight of the following areas:
- ETM Program
- Partner school relationships as it pertains to negotiation, onboarding, assessment, and financial/contractual matters
- Recruiting, hiring and onboarding of the teacher and mentor cohort
- Identification of metrics, tools, and processes to scale impact
- Finance, Technology, and Human Resources
- Financial and accounting systems and strategic budgeting
- Technology infrastructure and investments
- Recruitment, onboarding and performance management systems
- Marketing and Communications
- Marketing and communications investments
- Translating identified metrics, tools, and processes to external partners and donors
- Development & Evaluation
- Systems and administration that lead to effective proposal preparation and grant writing, evaluation processes, data collection and management, and report production
- Significant experience overseeing business operations, and driving results in a high-performance, growing and evolving organization.
- Proven track record of achieving short and long-term organizational objectives and financial growth through the implementation of infrastructure, business processes, and systems; especially in a multi-stakeholder environment.
- Excellent quantitative knowledge and problem solving skills in order to analyze, assess, and manage financial, human resources, technology, administrative and operational execution
- Strong organizational management with the ability to develop high-performing multi-disciplinary teams across an organization.
- Experienced strategist, innovator, and executor who will contribute in the leadership, management, and growth of the organization; adept at synthesizing information, building stakeholder trust and making sound decisions.
- Critical thinker who can successfully build and lead an execution strategy from a long-term vision, taking an analytical approach.
- Strong manager of people; demonstrated success managing and inspiring teams to achieve aggressive goals.
- High emotional intelligence, ability to coach and mentor diverse staff; ability to inspire trust and high performance.
- Demonstrated passion for the nonprofit sector and the mission of Education Through Music.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree in business relevant field strongly preferred.
Please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, both in Word format, addressed to Katherine Damkohler using the link below. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Education Through Music offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills.
Education Through Music is an equal opportunity employer.
About Commongood Careers
Education Through Music has partnered with Commongood Careers to conduct the search for a Chief Operating Officer. Commongood Careers is a mission-driven search firm that supports the hiring needs of high-impact nonprofits. With an approach that leverages robust talent networks, recruitment and search management expertise, and a deep understanding of our Education Through Music’s missions and cultures, we help organizations secure the talent they need to create greater social impact. Since our founding in 2005, Commongood Careers has led more than 700 searches at 275 organizations in 33 states, making us one of the most experienced and dedicated nonprofit search firms in the country. Learn more about nonprofit job opportunities at Commongood Careers.